There’s more than the odd sweet tooth here at Majestic HQ. So the recent discovery of a fantastic new book of ice cream, sorbet and gelati recipes caused quite a stir – particularly the ones using wine as an ingredient.
One dessert lover in particular – our Logistics Director – gave some of the simple, stylish (and decidedly grown-up) recipes a try, with mouth-watering results. Here are a couple of them for your delectation – if you have an ice-cream maker, why not give one a whirl at your next dinner party? And don’t forget to share the results with us via firstname.lastname@example.org
Muscat Wine Sorbet
Brown Brothers Orange Muscat and Flora 2009, Victoria, Half bottle
£7.49 or £5.99 when you buy 2 bottles
375ml dessert wine
250ml sugar syrup*
Juice of 1 lemon, strained
Makes scant 1 litre
- Add the sugar syrup, water and lemon juice to the wine, cover and chill in the fridge.
- When ready, pour the mixture into your ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Freeze overnight and allow ten minutes in the fridge to soften suff iciently before serving.
Prosecco Corte Alta NV, Italy
4 large peaches
250ml sugar syrup*
Juice of 1 lemon
- Immerse the peaches in boiling water for one minute, then drain and cool for a short while before slipping off the skins.
- Cut each fruit into six or eight pieces, discarding the stone.
- Add the fruit and sugar syrup to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Strain the peach puree through a sieve in to a bowl, then stir in the strained lemon juice.
- Cover and chill in the fridge.
- When ready, stir in the chilled Prosecco, pour the mixture into your ice-cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Serve within one hour or, if frozen solid, allow 30 minutes in the fridge to soften suff iciently for serving.
- *To make sugar syrup, pour 1 litre of boiling water into a (2 litre) measuring jug and stir in 1kg of sugar.
- Stir for half a minute or so until the sugar has dissolved, then cool, cover and refrigerate.
Recipes are from Ice Creams, Sorbets & Gelati – The Definitive Guide by Caroline and Robin Weir.
Published by GrubStreet, www.grubstreet.co.uk
Desserts only suitable for persons over the age of 18 years.
# Prices valid until 29 August 2011