We’re celebrating the holidays of spring with recipes from L’atelier des chefs cookery school and the perfect wine pairings.
It’s Mother’s Day this week, and nothing says love better than a tin of lovingly home made cupcakes! These quick and simple red velvet cupcakes with vanilla buttercream are sure to keep you in mother’s good books. For an extra special treat, try it with a glass of the Vistamar Late Harvest Moscatel dessert wine.
- For the cupcakes
- Caster sugar : 250g
- Self raising flour : 250g
- Baking powder : 1 Tsp
- Unsalted butter : 250g
- Whole eggs : 4
- Red food colour powder : 2g
- For the icing
- Unsalted butter : 200g
- Icing sugar : 150g
- Vanilla extract : 3 drops
For the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180’C.
- Beat together the sugar and the butter until light, soft and fluffy in consistency. Then add one egg at a time with a spoonful of flour until all of the eggs are combined.
- Once the eggs are all incorporated, sieve in the flour, baking powder and add the food colouring. Gently fold the mixture until all of the ingredients are completely combined.
- Pipe or spoon the mixture into cupcake cases (only fill them 3/4 full) and bake for 12-14 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
For the icing
- Sieve the icing sugar.
- Beat together the icing sugar, butter and the vanilla extract until the mixture is light in colour and soft in texture.
- Place all of the mixture into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe on top of the cupcakes.
Adding a spoonful of flour with each egg will stabilise the cake mixture and prevent the mix from curdling.
Vistamar Late Harvest Moscatel. There’s nothing much more culinarily exquisite than the perfect food and wine combination. These cupcakes are an indulgent afternoon sweet by themselves for Mother’s day. Add a cold glass of our dessert wine for that extra sweet kick. Relaxed Sunday afternoon indulgence guaranteed – always leave room for pudding and dessert wine.