Through a sparkling glass we gaze. Champagne is one of the most joyous wines we know. We’re making some pretty superb wine in the style of champagne in England now, but that doesn’t mean we’ve fallen out of love with the French.
There are few wines as evocative as champagne. Here are our favourite 11 quotes about this magical, frothing liquid.
1. John Maynard Keynes – Reportedly spoken from his deathbed, and as regrets go, one we can sympathise with.
2. Dorothy Parker – Socialite Dorothy Parker was a famous member of the Algonquin Club in Boston. She coined quite a few phrases in her life, but this one has a certain swing to it!
3. Mme. Lily Bollinger – This champagne quote came from Lily Bollinger on a trip to London in 1961 for the launch of Bollinger RD 1952. In an interview with the Daily Mail she was asked when she drank Champagne. This was her – rather fabulous – response.
4. James Bond – Reknowned Champagne enthusiast, Bond tried quite a few in the books; Veuve Clicquot, Dom Perignon, Krug, Pommery and Taittinger all feature – though Bond himself remarks that “Taittinger was just a phase of mine”. In the movies, Dom Perignon and Bollinger are his wines of choice. The story goes that Christian Bizot of Bollinger became good friends with Albert “Cubby” Broccoli, and it has appeared in 14 Bond movies since Moonraker in 1979.
5. Noel Coward – Coward was a superb actor and playwright, and his masterpiece ‘Private Lives’ is a superb, almost quixotic play about champagne-fuelled, cocktail-sipping hedonists.
6. Marlena Dietrich – Pop on a Dietrich song, pour yourself a glass of champagne and we challenge you not to agree.
8. Mark Twain – American author and required reading at most transatlantic schools. Forget Huckleberry Finn, this quote is our favourite of Twain’s work.
9. Samuel Johnson – Essayist, literary critic, biographer, moralist and poet. Also a man who understood the things that make life worth living.
10. Sir Winston Churchill – A lifelong fan of Pol Roger, the champagne house named their prestige label Cuvée Sir Winston Churchill in his honour. After France was liberated in 1944, he became close friends with Odette Pol Roger – every year on his birthday they sent him a case. On his death in 1965, Pol Roger placed a black border around its labels for that year.
11. Coco Chanel – With echoes of Madame Bollinger, and perhaps more succinctly, Coco Chanel’s quote on champagne is perhaps the last word for all lovers.
You can browse our range of champagne online here!